Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day!!!

As a federal public servant, I am required to acknowledge Canada Day in some fashion beyond merely taking the day off with pay (p.s. - thank you for paying your taxes). So I did the first thing that came to mind, and patriotically cut the grass. Sure, the umbrella may appear to have more to do with self-preservation in the heat of the mid-day sun at the 42nd parallel....but really, I was feeling every minute of it.

Even the grass stands up for the National Anthem

The garden is progressing nicely, soaking up the heat wave that has permeated the area for the past week or so. Beans are blossoming, there are tiny tomatoes growing on the vines, and we are already eating the radishes. Corn, broccoli, cauliflower and watermelon are also coming along. I knew it wouldn't look this good for long, right after extensive weeding and the rototilling between the rows, so I had to snap a picture.

The Garden, as nice as it may ever look....

I recently started a batch of homebrew pilsener in the kitchen, a nice light summer beer for this hot weather. Of course, beyond drinking the stuff, my greatest satisfaction comes from ensuring that each and every batch is made safely. With that in mind, I can honestly say that no babies were harmed in the making of this pilsener.

Don't Let Yer Babies Grow Up to Drown in Beer Buckets

1 comment:

Simone Maroney said...

omg!

that is soooo sick!

what's worse is that I'm still laughing over the don't let your babies drown in beer buckets quip...