Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ditch Kitties

Home alone a few weeks back, outside at midnight looking for one of our own cats, in the still of the night that only our quiet rural road can afford. In the distance, my supernatural hearing detects the soft mewling of feline distress. So I wander down the road towards the corner...

Long story short - there I am in the utter dark, down in our very deep ditch with a flashlight in my mouth and cheap $4 Chinese imitation "crocs", on my 4th attempt at rescuing two kittens hunkered in the ditch under the saddest Charlie Brown Christmas Tree(TM) you've ever seen. Needless to say, it is hard enough to get down into the 10' high ditch (a conservative estimate), but much harder to get back up, with no use of your hands because you are holding two panicked kitties!

Not sure if they were abandoned by their mother, or abandoned by some "locals".

Another long story short - they spent a few weeks in our capable care, were temporarily dubbed "Ember" and "Oreo", and thankfully with help we found them good homes in relatively short order. About a day after I found them, a major thunderstorm turned that ditch and their hunkered home into a fast-flowing torrent headed for Lake Erie.

Lucky I didn't break my neck in the effort.

First night in a carrier

Oreo -The Male

Ember - The Female

Sibling affection

Oreo speaks!

Oreo sleeps!

2 comments:

denials said...

Impressive, sir! The felines of the world salute you (as do I).

Simone Maroney said...

What an awesome story! You hero, you!

(That aside I had a chuckle over the word Needless following the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree (TM) comment. I kept reading Needles. Guilty by association lol)