Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dandelion Wine

Sure, there are already 14 wineries in this area...but I think I could establish a niche market by opening Ontario's first dandelion winery and marketing it to gullible tourists as the medieval drink of choice. We certainly have the dandelions for it....and the gullible tourists.

Rather than trying for VQA status, I am currently petitioning the Canadian Vintner's Association for the rights to establish the WQA (Weed Quality Alliance) designation for my wines. Currently accepting orders for 2011 delivery.

Also got the garden underway this weekend, with a two rows of green beans and three hills of cucumbers. It may be early yet so I'm going to hold there for now. Before tilling again for the third time (first time by hand and then two by electric tiller) I added some ashes from the fire pit to help break up the clay, and a bit of composted soybean waste from the nearby farmer's field. I even uncovered the strawberries (again!) to find that several are already in blossom!


The 2010 vintage - a fine year

Don't blink or you'll miss it - Jane cutting grass!

Freshly tilled and a few rows planted

Annoyed Jebus - apparently I was tipping off his hiding spot to the birds

2 comments:

Simone Maroney said...

Dandelion wine? With pigeon stew? Hmmm... I dunno...
But dandelion salad isn't so bad if you don't mind harvesting the leaves.

Mike and Jane said...

What do you think we'll be serving the gullible tourists with their wine?