Sunday, February 22, 2015

Winter's Icy Grasp

Yesterday's welcome combination of sunshine and mild temperatures (just below zero Celsius) led to a rapid thaw, before the next influx of polar air caused the mercury to plummet sharply again in late afternoon.

The ensuing sequence of sublimation and supercooling created an eerie ice fog that began to roll in around sunset, followed by a spectacular adhesion to surfaces, including weeping willow branches and other dendritic appendages.

One might say it had a "chilling" effect.









2 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Mike, your photos are absolutely amazing! I literally could "feel" the icy chill through your pictures, my friend. I don't know how you guys get through those winters. I just would not do it any longer as it was easier when I was in my 20's :) The willow shot is my favorite! Have a great day! :)

Simone Maroney said...

Worthy of a horror movie.

That's Canadian winters for you, I guess...