Sunday, April 5, 2015

Ironically Hip

I got a chance recently to visit with my sister in the Kingston area, on the way back from some training in Ottawa. She had originally planned to take me to new brew pub Stone City Ales, which was hosting a small live music event....but which to her chagrin quickly sold out.

She resorted to googling other live music events in Kingston, and lo and behold, The Trews were playing at the nearby and legendary Ale House!

You can imagine my surprise when I arrived, and was informed that we were heading off to see one of my favourite bands live, at a great venue. What could be better than that?

A few years (and daughters) removed from the local bar scene, and not knowing exactly where the Ale House was, we followed Princess Street into downtown K-town. As we drew close, my sister said "I wonder if it's the old AJ's Hangar?". As we walked in the door, sure enough it was, complete with an actual airplane suspended from the celing over the stage. Guess the new owners decided it was easier to work around it.

I reminded my sister that she took me to see a Tragically Hip cover band at AJ's Hangar back in 1992, when I came down from university to visit her for Thanksgiving.

The opening band, locals Greg Ball & Friends, were quite good. Things got a little more interesting when Paul Langlois of the Tragically Hip suddenly appeared and joined them on stage.

Right about then as I was looking around, I noticed Hip lead guitarist Bobby Baker standing not far from us, just a face in the crowd.....though a face with a bit of space and a rather burly man by his left side. As I pointed him out to my sister, she said "isn't that the bass player beside him?", and indeed it was. Gord Sinclair was standing to his right.

A few songs later, Bobby Baker was standing right beside my sister, who declared in confidential tones, "Rob Baker smells good".

Well of course, the three of them all ended up on stage with The Trews for a few songs. Also in attendance (strictly as fans) were up and coming local band Glorious Sons, whose new song I had heard on the radio just a few days earlier on the drive to Ottawa.

All three bands took the stage and rocked the place with an open jam to end a very memorable night.

"In the Morning" with Gord Sinclair and Emily Fennell


Joined on stage by a Tragically TrHiplicate

Open jam with The Hip and Glorious Sons to end the night

True Patriot Love, there was never more

Set List

1 comment:

Mike said...

I've never heard of The Trews but I'm glad you guys had an awesome time, Mike! Any bar with a real airplane sounds cool to me :)